Director of Strategic Planning
Reports to: Managing Director
We are looking for an engaged and inquisitive mind to provide day-to-day account planning leadership for multiple accounts across a range of industries. The candidate must be able to apply critical thinking and creative problem-solving to marketing challenges, with an equal ability to communicate thoughtful strategic ideas clearly. This position is as unique as our agency - we need a rare blend of thinker and doer, a self-starter with great chops in advertising and experience in the digital and cross-cultural realms. The ideal candidate should be passionate about media and technology, curious about what makes consumers tick, proactive in work outlook, and a curator of culture. You will provide deep consumer understanding and insight to inform the development of integrated marketing and communications solutions at every stage, working across the diverse cultural spectrum of today’s America. They will manage the research and strategy development for all deliverables – creative, media and technology.
Director of Strategic Planning must bring a seasoned amount of experience working in the strategic departments of an agency environment, and demonstrate a track record of success on marketing campaigns. We need someone with heavy hands-on research skills, both quantitative and qualitative. Also, prior management experience as you will be looked upon to lead, groom and grow planning staff, as well as to champion planning throughout the agency.
- 10+ years of work experience in an advertising and/or a marketing agency with majority of those years in account planning or a strategy department.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year accredited college required (Master’s degree preferred).
- Keeps it simple and writes compelling briefs.
- Work collaboratively with agency leadership and other discipline leads to drive strategy throughout the process from insight to execution.
- Solution-oriented individual that’s flexible in terms of working with others without getting stuck in conventional notions of how it’s always been done.
- A curiosity about what makes consumers tick with a strong interest in human behavioral change and response.
- Innate sense of culture and how cultural insight applies to client business.
- While direct experience is not a requirement, must have a passion for what’s happening in the digital and social media landscapes. Digital experience highly prioritized – although we are willing to train.
- Significant experience and knowledge in designing, implementing, and applying insight from market research including quantitative and qualitative.
- A willingness to develop innovative methodologies to research and look past potential roadblocks in order to arrive at high quality solutions.
- Up on the latest trends and industry developments in marketing and each client’s business, and thinking constantly about how to bring new ideas to the agency.
- A unique blend of a “never say never” and “never give up” attitude. Willingness to jump in a give it a shot.
- Equally comfortable as a both a big picture and pragmatic thinker.
- Outstanding communication, presentation, and inter-personal skills with a proven track record of selling ideas, married with an equally strong writing ability.
- An ability to stay focused and keep others focused within in a fast-paced and hectic environment.
- Passion and experience in General Market AND cross-cultural (Hispanic, African-American, Asian, etc.) marketing required
- Not a mere delegator. MUST be able to roll up your sleeves and dig deep – this is a very hands-on position
- Experience using major syndicated sources.
- Established presence within the planning community to stay informed about account planning.
- Avid reader of trade literature.
- Partner with agency leaders on thought leadership. Write think pieces, white papers, and other strategic materials that represent the best of the agency.
- A solid POV on what makes effective advertising and sensibility for what makes it highly appealing.
- Experience across a range of industries with emphasis on government, financial services, healthcare, and utilities.
- Proven leadership and management ability with a knack for getting it “spot on”
- A hands-on person not afraid to roll up their sleeves and get dirty.
- Motivate and uplift both agency culture and agency positioning.
Please submit resume, cover letter, portfolio if required and answer all questions in our online interface for consideration.
Sensis is a cross-cultural marketing agency driving behavior change. Moving beyond cultural boxes, we create useful, digitally relevant content to drive consumer action. Ads don't work. Content does. Because people experience content. To change behavior, you need to engage people first—through useful, digitally relevant means. These are the tools we use to build engagement, spark motivation and drive action among the cultures our clients look to influence. Along with our integrated advertising services, Sensis offerings include specialty practices SensisHealth, SensisChallenges and SensisCMO.
In addition to a competitive compensation package, we offer a generous amount of paid time off (PTO), paid holidays, health/dental/vision insurance, a 401(k) plan, along with other benefits.