Reports to: President
Sensis is seeking a seasoned Controller to oversee and directly manage finance, accounting and corporate back-office functions of a multi-office, multi-state advertising agency. This position will also oversee two staff members (Bookkeeper and IT Coordinator).
As a key resource for agency business leads and the executive management team, the controller will provide critical financial and commercial insights. The controller will ensure that accurate and complete accounting is performed, including general ledger (GL), accounts payable, cash disbursements, customer credits and collections, fixed assets, invoicing/billing, job costing, and payroll. They will be in charge of all finance, accouting and payroll.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee day-to-day accounting functions.
- Process and handle general ledger, month end close, and financial reporting.
- Manage treasury functions of Company, overseeing what gets disbursed and when, and balancing with short-term and long-term needs of firm
- Issue timely, accurate and complete financial statements
- Implement and maintain separate financial statements for various business units and lines of business
- Assist in budgeting and forecasting.
- Build and maintain reliable financial forecasting
- Calculate, analyze and issue financial and operating metrics
- Execute payroll processing through our payroll provider, including employee setup, deductions, garnishments, PTO management, and all reporting
- Communication with vendors and clients.
- Liaise with account, creative, media and production teams.
- Work with Operations team to improve performance tracking
- Calculate variances from budgets and report significant issues to management
- Client revenue /expense reconciliation analysis and reporting
- Develop and maintain a dashboard for key business drivers and metrics
- Oversee work of Bookkeeper as it comes to day-to-day Accounting
- Maintain Company schedule of billable rates, updating and evaluating as necessary
- Work with CEO and Managing Directors on resource allocation, freelance vs. staff modelin
Corporate Compliance / Vendor Management
- Comply with local, (multi-) state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Coordinate external audit and tax return preparation
- Manage company’s insurance portfolio, serving as key liaison with all insurance brokers and managing all elements of company insurance across all offices (errors and omissions, liability, umbrella, workman’s compensation, etc.)
- Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants for any line of credit needs
- Manage all business preference certifications on the local, state and federal level (DBE, MBE, SBE, etc.)
- Oversee all government audits
- Be the company’s key fiduciary in 401(k) plan management and reporting
- Oversee company timekeeping
- Represent the Company with various UI/Workman’s Compensation needs
- Manage 3rd party vendors providing services
- Manage any third parties to which corporate functions have been outsourced
The company currently has a Los Angeles headquarters, a large branch office in Washington, DC, and offices in Austin, TX and Atlanta, GA and on-site employees in Little Rock, AR.
- Oversee budget for all hardware and software expenses across the company, scaling for growth while managing for cost reasonableness
- Ensure telephony (VOIP Phones, Internet) is available and optimized per location
- Lead in-house and out-sourced IT staff to optimize server/IT infrastructure, office-to-office connectivity and efficiency
The candidate should have experience working at an advertising or professional services company, including extensive knowledge of client operations and compensation models, especially project based, retainer, and time and material fee engagements. Additionally, the candidate must possess strong communication and interpersonal skills as they will frequently interface with agency leadership and client contacts at senior levels.
- Accounting or Finance degree required and CPA is a plus
- 5 + years’ experience in a related industry
- 2 + years’ experience in supervisory role
- Strong technical accounting and analysis experience with full understanding of accrual based accounting, revenue recognition types and rules, GAAP rules
- Hands on experience working with government accounts and services preferred
- Strong creative problem solving abilities
Please submit resume, cover letter, portfolio if required and answer all questions in our online interface for consideration.
Sensis is a cross-cultural marketing agency driving behavior change. Moving beyond cultural boxes, we create useful, digitally relevant content to drive consumer action. Ads don't work. Content does. Because people experience content. To change behavior, you need to engage people first—through useful, digitally relevant means. These are the tools we use to build engagement, spark motivation and drive action among the cultures our clients look to influence. Along with our integrated advertising services, Sensis offerings include specialty practices SensisHealth, SensisChallenges and SensisCMO.
In addition to a competitive compensation package, we offer a generous amount of paid time off (PTO), paid holidays, health/dental/vision insurance, a 401(k) plan, along with other benefits.